Monday, October 18, 2010

18 Again.....I Don't Think So!!!!!!


As my reflection stares back at me in the mirror, I question whether or not the years have been kind to me. Afterall, according to most statistics, I am well past middle age and almost old enough to receive the monthly edition of the AARP (Association for Retired Persons) Magazine. The wrinkles, furrows, bags, and dark circles that weren't there just a few short years ago are making their way onto my face faster and more furiously than I care to admit. Even the grey hairs are replenishing themselves on my head in weeks, rather than months, like they used to. Rather than dwelling upon the things that appear to be in places they once weren't, I find myself applying a little more foundation and going for more frequent visits to the hair salon. I'm lucky, considering most of my friends have been grey since their 30's! When I look at pictures of myself at 30, the year I gave birth to Caleb (1st born), I see a much younger version of myself, fresh and naive, with not a worry in the world. On a recent Saturday afternoon, I attended the Bat Mitzvah of my dearest and oldest friend (not in age, but in years). For those of you who may not know what this is, it is a Jewish rite of passage, marked by a 13 year olds' recitation of prayers from the Torah (book containing the Old Testament), and in most cases (not mine), an out of control celebration. In any case, I have looked forward to sharing this event with Pam and her family for a very long time, as her daughter, Gillian, was born with numerous physical conditions that have complicated life for this family. Come time for the party to get started, I was ready to let loose and rid myself of some of the pent up stress I had been experiencing as of late- nothing a few drinks and dancing couldn't cure! The best part was that so many high school friends were at the Bat Mitzvah, and hanging out with them was absolutely wonderful. It has been awhile since all of us have seen one another, months for some of us, years for others. We laughed, reminisced, and acted silly like we did when we were kids. It was so easy being with one another, an unspoken understanding of knowing that we could be who we are with no airs. It was almost like being 18 again! I thought about the day long after it ended and wished for one brief moment that I was back in high school again.When I came back to reality, I realized  then that I wouldn't trade the years for anything, except for maybe a few less wrinkles and grey hairs. While it's not possible to go back in time, it has become quite apparent that my friends from way back are like my fountain of youth, enabling me to experience a renewed sense of vitality and rejuvenation every once in awhile. Honestly, I am experiencing the best years of my life- with almost 21 years married to a wonderful man and 3 kids I adore, and best of all, I'm about to graduate with a Master's Degree. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I really couldn't ask for more, or maybe I could, but I won't. So, ask me if I'd want to be 18 again! My answer..... I don't think so!!!!!

Vocabulary

1.  reflection (noun)- a surface where you can see a person or thing in it (ie. mirror)
2.  statistics (noun)- a collection of numbers that represents facts or measurements
3.  furrows (noun)- a long, deep fold or line in a surface
4.  replenishing (verb)- to fill something back up after it's empty
5.  frequent (adjective)- something that happens a lot
6.  recitation (verb)- to read or say something that you have remembered
7. reminisced (adjective)- talking or thinking about happy times from the past

Exercise: Try to guess what the mixed up words are from the vocabulary above.

1.  efqrtnue  __  __  __  __  __  __  __

2.   ifcnletero  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __

3.   wrusorf  __  __  __  __  __  __  __

4.   nirdcemsie  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __

5.   tsicitsta  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __

6.  npisgrleehi  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __

7.  caentoriti  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __ 

Grammar Point: Contractions are two words combined to form a shortened and more condensed word.They contain an apostophe as the letters are dropped and the two words are combined. For example: I'd (I and do), we'd (we and would), can't (can and not), wouldn't (would and not). Students will participate in a "Find a Friend" activity. This exercise begins in the following way: 1.) One student sits in front of the class holding an envelope 2.) On a slip of paper the rest of the class writes 2 entences using 2 different contractions complementing their classmate. 3.) After the students write their sentences anonymously they drop them in the envelope belonging to the student in front of the class. 4.) This continues until all the students have had a turn receiving notes from their classmates. 5.) The teacher picks one note to read from each student's envelope. This is not only a great activity for practicing contractions but can be an excellent way of making new friends a the beginning of a school year or building self-esteem in young children.

I can't believe how much fun these two websites are for learning about contractions. You definitely shouldn't forget to check them out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=466CWUvyQK4&feature=fvwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mQ9uLEWfcY&feature=related

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often wish if we could just go back in time then...but somehow we get a taste of what it used to be like and realize everything is just how it is supposed to be. Your an amazing writer LJ and I look forward to reading your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... 18 again... I think I'd do it! What a great time I had then. No stress, traveling, sleeping in, being THIN! Hahaha!
    Where's the time machine?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this! I don't think I would do it again. I have NO regrets but I love where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your entry is so enjoyable. It tells us so much about you.

    ReplyDelete