Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I've Definitely Saved the Best for Last!

As all of you have come to know, I take great pleasure in writing freely and openly. As I pondered what my final blog entry would be, I needn't think long and hard, as I knew it would be the easiest entry of all.  I have come to realize that the littlest things offer me fodder for writing and the same applies with this entry as well. It was in my Spanish Methods class that I found exactly the inspiration I needed. It was the weirdest thing....Crystal and I were discussing of all things, relationships. She and I, 27 years apart, were perhaps the most unlikely duo to share a conversation about meeting guys. Yet somehow, I knew this brief conversation was the spark that would allow me to produce the loveliest blog entry to date. You see, I could easily write a novel about my husband, Jesse, but how does one briefly express the happiest and most profound emotions as a blog entry? For me, the hardest thing was choosing what it was about Jesse that I wanted to share. I know without a doubt, that even an attempt as small as this entry, will do little justice in sharing what life with the most wonderful man has been like. Unbeknownst to me, meeting Jesse would truly be the greatest thing that ever happened to me. For, if it wasn't for meeting Jesse, all the other wonderful things that have happened in my life would never have been possible. It began with the personal ads. For those of you who may not know what this is, you must understand that there was a time, prior to the "age of technology", when dating was done the old-fashioned way, with a little help. People would post ads in the newspaper (I being the poster), with such entries as SWJF (single, white, Jewish female), 24 years old, loves the beach looking for a SWJM (single, white, Jewish male) 25-30 years old, who is totally spontaneous and loves to dance. I know it sounds like a completely desperate act for meeting a guy but it can work. Lots of guys sent pictures and letters to my P.O. box requesting a date with me.  I had my pick of guys but unfortunately 99% of them were duds.  Two letters I received caught my attention and I decided to give Seth a call first. Our first date, I can't remember where we went, went well enough to make another one. We decided to go to J. Sprats, he would bring some of his friends and I, some of mine. It was to be the most memorable night ever! As Seth and I were hanging out, in walks the handsomest guy I'd ever laid eyes upon. The strangest thing happened then. This guy proceeds to walk over to our little group and talk to Seth. How could it be that this guy who captured my attention was Seth's friend? The freakiest thing was that, he too, answered my personal ad. Yup, Jesse was one of the postees and his happened to be the second letter I liked. What unbelievable luck and I was probably the happiest person on earth! Jesse and I gravitated towards one another as we let ourselves become deeply engrossed in conversation. It was as though the current arrangement had me trapped in a dream-like state moving in slow motion. I was having the time of my life, not wanting the night to end, and when it came time to say good bye, I asked Jesse if I could call him. To heck with Seth and besides, there weren't any fireworks between us anyway! Unfortunately, Jesse gave me the lousiest response I could have imagined. While he may be one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, it was my rotten luck, so I thought, that he responded to my question with, "why don't you wait and see what happens with Seth and then call me." I couldn't believe my ears....wait and see!!! Was he kidding!!! I tossed that remark out the window, where it should be, and decided as I was driving home, with a smile from ear-to-ear, that I would abide by Jesse's wishes and wait before I called him. And that I did...for about 2 long days, and from that point on, it's what we call history!!! We have been inseparable since our first date and I am proud to say that we will be married 21 years on November 19th. I have been truly fortunate to have lived a fairy tale life with my honest-to-goodness Prince Charming. All I can say is that sometimes the uncanniest of meetings may lead you, too, to the least likely of coincidences, and for this woman, it certainly turned out to be the sweetest of experiences. Sharing this blog with all of you has been most enjoyable and I feel absolutely confident that I've saved my best blog entry for last! I hope all of you think so too!!

Vocabulary
1.  pondered (verb)- to spend time thinking about something
2.  fodder (noun)-ideas that inspire someone to tell or write about something
3.  inspiration (noun)- something or someone that encourages us to do something good
4.  justice (noun)- to show the best qualities
5.  gravitated (verb)- to be attracted to something and move towards it
6.  spontaneous (adjective)- happening or done without being planned or organized
7. coincidences (noun)- a situation in which two things happen at the same time by surprise
8. uncanniest (adjective)- strange and difficult to explain

Exercise
Below is a list of your new vocabulary words. Draw a line from the word to its correct definition.

justice             a situation in which two things happen at the same time by
                         surprise
gravitated       to spend time thinking about something
uncanniest      happening or done without being planned or organized
pondered        someone or something that encourages us to do something goo
coincidences  to show the best qualities
fodder              strange and difficult to explain
spontaneous   to be attracted to something and move towards it
inspiration       to show the best qualities

Grammar Point: Superlatives
The form of an adjective or adverb that shows the highest degree of a particular quality. For example, fastest is the superlative of fast and slowest is the superlative of slow. Beginning with the simplest rule for superlatives one-syllable words take on the "est" endings and one-syllable words that have a consonant-vowel-consonant blend become a superlative when you double the consonant ending and then add "est". For example the word big becomes a superlative when you add a "g" then est making it the superlative biggest. Can you find at least 10 superlatives in the paragraph? Once you've done that, put these words in alphabetical order. After doing that, use each of  these words in 10 complete sentences. Lastly, using at least 5 of these words and an additional 3 more superlatives from the paragraph above write a short paragraph about the best thing that has ever happened to you. Have the best time doing this activity!

For learning lots more about superlatives and their rules it's best to check out this website!
The Best Link for Understanding Superlatives

4 comments:

  1. Leave it to you to have such a sweet story! I love it! Isn't there a Yiddish word for such a meeting?

    What's your secret to happiness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love it...Anythony and I were together ever since our first date also

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words well written my friend. This one made me laugh and cry. I understand your emotion as I know the husband you have. He is truly a good man and you are both lucky to have each other. Love it and love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sad to see you stop writing your wonderful blog. Perhaps you'll take it up again after you have finished all your papers. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story about how you met your husband.

    ReplyDelete